Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Water damage affects more than just the structure of your house, it can have devastating effects on your belongings as well. SERVPRO of Greater Northern Charleston understands that your home is more than the building; your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home. Under ideal circumstances, a homeowner keeps an up to date inventory of their contents. However, rarely does disaster strike under ideal circumstances. During the restoration process, we keep a detailed inventory and will help determine what can be salvaged and what needs to be added as a loss on your insurance claim. Making sure the restoration process goes smoothly and efficiently is our priority.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (843) 552-1226
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.